Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Pearls of Wisdom


WISDOM. I crave it. I know many others do too. And what is truly strange is that I also know that many couldn't care less. I find that mind-boggling! Wisdom is one of the things I most desire.

In my search for wisdom, last night, I ran across an old friend of mine. This friend is a virtual treasure trove of wisdom, full of those highly sought after pearls! I couldn't believe it had been so long since we'd spent time together. I mean from the minute he speaks--wisdom is everywhere! Why had I waited so long to visit with him? I know what an amazing resource he's been in the past. I am ashamed to say that it has been years since we've really sat down together. It's one of those realizations we all have from time to time where we say, "What was I thinking, why did I wait so long to get together with you?!?!" But let me tell you, our time together last night was inspired! It was beautiful. I learned so much and was reminded of the lessons I have learned the last time he shared his wisdom with me. I'd be in much better shape if I didn't go so long between time with him.

I am betting that you think that perhaps I am not speaking about a person, or maybe you think that I am referring to talking with God in prayer or sitting down and reading the words of our Savior. Well, no. My friend is something a little different than prayer or the words of The Christ, but is chock full of wisdom no less. (And no, to those of you who know me WELL, I didn't sit down and talk with my dad either...) My friend is a source of wisdom outside of my normal three choices: God via prayer, the life and words of Christ via the Bible, and my dad. This source is one I had almost forgotten about, but deep down I simply adore!

What I am referring to is not a person at all. (I bet you had figured that already) It is a book. One of the greatest books ever printed, in fact! I still am slapping my forehead for having gone so long between readings. It is dripping with wisdom. It is oozing with insight. And no, for any Max Lucado fans like me, Max didn't write this book either. This book is an old one. Really old. It is the book of Proverbs. I am ashamed to say, I haven't read this book in years. Now, I have read a verse or two in Bible study and such. But I have not sat down and read it--in years. It is a book that is overflowing with what so many of us seek as Christians today--WISDOM. It is an amazing book for daily living. If we could all read this book, refer back to it regularly, and do our very best to live out its insights, we'd all be so much better off!

So my recommended reading is the incredibly helpful yet easily overlooked book in the Bible called Proverbs. It is nothing less than pure treasure for Christians today. It is so easily applied, not just for Christians but for all those struggling with daily life. It is clear, easy to read, and SO applicable.

I am so thankful today for the blessing of this book. I missed my dear friend. I am so glad we reconnected. Life is so much simpler walking hand in hand with this dear friend of mine! Thank you, Holy Spirit for leading me to flip the pages of my Bible last night and for landing on this old friend. WISDOM lives in its pages! The same life wisdom I so deeply desire was sitting there right in front of me all along. (Another forehead slap! OUCH!)

For all of those wisdom seekers like myself, take some time to read (or reread) this book. If you read, it, understand it, take it into your heart, and live its teachings, your life WILL change and markedly improve. Such wisdom!

Enjoy the pearls!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From someone who taught the book of PROVERBS to Jr. HS boys (and knowing we learn far more than we teach), I highly recommend reading, re-reading, and even teaching a group this book. King Solomon wrote this book so his sons, who would some day rule others, would have the benefits of his insights and rule effectively. And if you have children, you should try to memorize the whole book, you'll need it, and so will they. I would further recommend anyone who would like to, find pocket-sized copy of PROVERBS at their local Christian bookstore and read it whereever you go. By the way Carlotta your "wisdom" is really showing!

Amy said...

My grandmother told me to read this book years ago when I told her I didn't know where to start in reading my bible. It is the first book in the Bible that I read all the way through. I go back to it often, as it is full of wisdom. I couldn't agree with you more...it is a must read!