Wedding Countdown Ticker

Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Painful Truth--A Blessing in Disguise.

I need to take a moment to thank a friend. I have a friend who is bold, but may not realize it. This friend cared enough to speak the truth. They risked hurting my feelings in an effort to truly help me. I think that is usually when the truth needs to be revealed the most. That is also when it is the hardest for most to say and the hardest for most to hear. The old saying "the truth hurts" can be so very true. I think most people would agree. Sometimes the truth, as painful as it might be, is just what the doctor ordered. My friend, you know who you are, I sincerely thank you. First-for your continued encouragement, second-for your honesty, and third-for the risk you took.

It really can be risky for a friend to tell the whole truth. It can be difficult to determine how receptive the other person can or will be to what they hear. Sometimes in unfortunate cases, the truth can hurt so deeply that the receiver cannot deal with the sting. It can damage some friendships. I believe this is usually because of pride. We all know what the Bible says about pride--it precludes destruction. True friends can speak the truth knowing it may sting. The great thing is that with good friendships the sting will fade in the knowledge that it came from love.

I took to heart the truth my friend spoke to me. I analyzed it. I broke it down. I came to the realization that they were correct in what they observed. It opened my eyes to things I hadn't taken the time or effort to fully consider. I think that I will be quite pleased with the changes I make in response to what my friend said to me. I will be honest with you, it was hard for me to hear. It was very difficult to put down my reasons, my excuses, my defenses and be open to a different viewpoint. It is often very hard to make ourselves vulnerable to critique. I think that is completely normal but is not usually very productive. One thing I learned from this little experience is that hearing someone else's concern, knowing it comes from love, can change things--big things. I believe that since I was able to set aside my pride and my viewpoint, that something very important to me will become better and much improved. What a beautiful thing!

I want to thank you, my friend, for reaching out and taking a risk in order to truly help another person. Boldness is a rare find these days. My hat is off to you. I hope you see improvement and change in what you brought to my attention. I can't thank you enough for speaking the truth in love. Sounds awfully biblical! I love it. Thank you again.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like you and your friend are lucky to have one another.